If your yeast is a little old and you aren't sure if it's still active, here's how to test it before you add other ingredients.
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Combine the yeast with the amount of warm water called for in the recipe.
- Stir in about 1/8 teaspoon of sugar.
- Check the mixture after about 10 minutes; if it's bubbly, the yeast is good.
- Buy yeast in bulk for a big savings. Yeast will keep for years in the freezer.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure safe water temperature.
What You Need