Here are basic cooking instructions for turnip greens, collard greens, or mustard greens, with popular variations and additions.
Time Required: 90 minutes
- Thoroughly wash 2 pounds of greens. Two or more washings may be necessary.
- Trim tough stalks and tear or cut large greens in pieces. Cut thick veins out of collard greens.
- In a large pot, bring 6 to 7 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add a ham hock or a 4-ounce piece of salt pork to the pot.
- Add a tablespoon of salt.
- Continue boiling for 10 or 15 minutes.
- Add the washed greens to the pot.
- Cover and simmer until greens are tender. Depending on the type of greens used, this might take an hour.
- Makes enough for 4 people.
- Crushed red pepper, a few tablespoons of bacon grease, chopped onion, or other seasonings can be added to the pot for more flavorful greens.
- Serve with cornbread and pepper sauce or cider vinegar.
- If desired, serve with chopped hard boiled eggs, bacon pieces, or sliced green onion for garnish.
What You Need
- 2 pounds greens
- ham hock or salt pork