Not only are toasted nuts more flavorful and crunchier, they're less likely to sink in cakes and other batters.
Time Required: 15 minutes
- Nuts may be toasted in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir until they're golden brown.
- To toast in the oven, spread nuts on a baking sheet. Bake at 350°, stirring occasionally, for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- To toast in the microwave oven, place 1 cup of chopped nuts on a paper plate. Microwave uncovered on HIGH for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they smell toasted. Rotate the plate a half turn after 2 minutes. They will not brown.
- Warmed nuts are easier to chop.
- Always taste nuts before using; rancid nuts will ruin whatever food they're used in.