Traditionally served with fried catfish, hush puppies are small balls of fried dough. The recipe below is a standard one.
Time Required: 20 minutes
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of cornmeal with 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Blend in 1 egg and 3/4 to 1 cup of buttermilk. The dough should be thick enough to drop from a spoon slowly but easily.
- Add any of the following: 2 or 3 tablespoons of grated onion, minced green onion, black or cayenne pepper, or hot pepper sauce.
- In a heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat fat for deep frying. The fat should be about 3 inches deep, or deep enough for the hush puppies to float, and the temperature should be around 375°.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of batter into the hot fat and fry until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain and keep warm while frying the rest.
- This recipe should make about 24 hush puppies.
- If using self-rising meal and flour, omit the baking powder and baking soda.
What You Need
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder