Southerners typically eat this gravy with biscuits, but it's good with any meal.
Time Required: 20 minutes
- Cook sausage in a heavy skillet. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon; set aside for a later use.
- Remove all but 2 to 3 tablespoons of grease from the skillet.
- Over medium heat, stir 3 tablespoons of flour into the grease. Stir constantly until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stirring constantly, pour in 1 cup of regular milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Continue stirring until the gravy is thick.
- If desired, add some or all of the sausage back into the gravy.
- Serve over split biscuits, grits, or mashed potatoes, or pour into a bowl or gravy boat and serve on the side.
- If you like a very thick gravy, start with about 3/4 cup of milk then add more if necessary.
What You Need
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup sausage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste