Grits are a favorite grain dish in the South, and are usually eaten as a breakfast dish. Here are instructions for basic boiled grits.
Time Required: 45 minutes
- In a 3- to 4-quart saucepan, bring 4 1/2 cups of water seasoned with 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup of regular grits (not instant).
- Continue stirring and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Beat in 4 to 6 tablespoons of butter. Serve immediately.
- To make fried grits, let them cool slightly then beat in one egg. Pour into a buttered loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. When chilled and firm, cut into thin slices. Fry in bacon fat or butter.
What You Need
- 1 cup grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- large saucepan