The flavor of a 'fully cooked' ham is greatly improved by heating. Here are the basics.
Time Required: varies
- First, check the label for instructions. It should be labeled 'fully cooked' or 'cook before eating.'
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- If the ham is labeled 'fully cooked' (does not require heating), heat for 8 to 10 minutes per pound, or to an internal temperature of 140°F.
- If the ham is labeled 'cook before eating,' heat to an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Before glazing a ham, remove all but about 1/4-inch of the fat.
- For a tasty, caramelized coating, sprinkle the fat of the ham with brown sugar which has been pressed through a sieve.
What You Need:
- A Ham