Chocolate chip and pecan pies are a Louisville area favorite, especially around Kentucky Derby time. Serve this delicious pie with a dollop of Bourbon Whipped Cream or your favorite ice cream, and enjoy the races!
Kentucky Chocolate - Pecan Pie
Add a tablespoon of bourbon or a teaspoon of rum flavoring to this pie for a more "spirited" flavor.
- 1 9-inch pie shell, unbaked
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick/4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Spread chopped nuts over the bottom of the prepared (unbaked) pie shell; sprinkle with chocolate morsels. In a small mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in sugars, flour, salt, vanilla, and butter. Pour batter evenly over nuts and chocolate chips. Bake in a 325° oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
Bourbon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon good bourbon (or 1/2 teaspoon rum flavoring)
For best results, chill bowl and beaters. Beat cream until thickened; add sugar and flavoring, then beat until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Chef Nick's Kentucky Recipes
Cooking with Bourbon
2004 Derby Contenders
A list of top Derby contenders and links to more Kentucky Derby information.