Okra, when rolled in cornmeal and fried, doesn't have the gummy substance it has when stewed or boiled. If you don't like okra because of its texture, try it fried.
Time Required: 45 minutes
- Cut off stems and tips of about 1 pound of okra. Slice into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Cover sliced okra with salted cold water. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- In an iron skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to about 375 degrees.
- In a shallow, wide bowl, combine about 3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- If desired, add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper to the cornmeal mixture.
- Drain chilled okra well then roll in the cornmeal mixture. Coat thoroughly.
- Fry okra in batches for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to paper towels to drain; serve immediately.
- A deep fryer can be used to fry the okra.
- If a thicker coating is desired, dip the okra into beaten egg seasoned with a several drops of Tabasco sauce.
What You Need
- 1 pound okra
- salted water
- heavy skillet or fryer
- vegetable oil
- shallow bowl for dredging