This stew is a great choice for a cold and wintery January, and it couldn't be much easier! This budget one-pot meal can be cooked in the slow cooker or on the stovetop, and you can speed it up by using canned or frozen carrots. This was a winner in our home, a recipe I'll use again and again.
Add cornbread and a tossed salad for a complete meal.
Barbecue Bean Stew
- 1 large can (28 ounces) barbecue beans
- 1/2 to 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (1 medium pepper)
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots, or use frozen or canned
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (approximately 14.5 ounces) tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
Stovetop: Brown ground turkey or ground beef with onion and green bell pepper; combine ingredients in a stockpot or Dutch oven. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Note: Cooking time can be shortened by using frozen or canned diced carrots.
Serves 4 to 6.