These puffs are especially convenient because they can be made ahead of time. Refrigerate or freeze until you need them, then heat them at 350° until hot.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: Makes 24 to 36 Gougeres
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk or light cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) salted butter, cut in 8 to 10 smaller pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, 4 1/2 ounces
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- dash nutmeg
- dash freshly ground black pepper
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Heat the oven to 400°.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, milk or light cream, salt, and butter. Bring to a boil. With a wooden spoon stir in the flour all at once. Continue stirring until the dough leaves the sides of the pan and forms a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Let the dough rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Beat the hot dough on low speed for 1 minute. Quickly (so the egg won't begin to cook when it hits the hot dough) beat in the first egg, beating until well blended. Continue beating in the remaining eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the Gruyere cheese, nutmeg, and ground black pepper until the dough is smooth and well blended.
- Using a food storage bag with a small part of a corner cut out or a pastry bag, pipe onto the prepared baking sheets. If they have peaks from the piping, moisten a finger and gently smooth the tops. Bake for about 20 minutes, until nicely puffed and golden brown.
- Makes about 2 to 3 dozen gougéres, depending on size.
- Refrigerate or freeze in food storage bags. Reheat in the oven at 350° until hot.
These appetizers are made with a similar choux pastry dough, but with chopped oysters added to the mixture. The tasty oyster puffs are served with cocktail sauce.
These cheese sticks are made with Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and a little cayenne. They make a great snack for a weekend game get together or holiday party.
Mini Cheddar and Green Onion Quiches
These little quiches are made in mini muffin pans, a nice little bite for a special event.
These savory mushrooms are stuffed with a delicious mixture of crab, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and Creole seasoning.