- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut in small pieces
- 2 tablespoons shortening, chilled
- 3/4 cup milk, low fat or whole
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together into a mixing bowl. With a pastry cutter, cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in milk just until clumping. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times, just until the dough holds together. Pat into a circle about 1/4 to 1/2-inch in thickness. Cut out with a 1 or 2-inch diameter round cutter. Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes about 2 dozen, depending on size.
You Might Also Like