- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup fine dry plain bread crumbs
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork or mild pork sausage
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 cans condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons butter
Combine milk with bread crumbs and let stand until the milk has been sbsorbed. Add the ground beef, pork, egg, onion, allspice, salt, and ginger. Mix well until blended.
Shape meatballs and arrange in 2 large lightly oiled baking pans. Bake meatballs for about 40 minutes, turning once about halfway through.
In a saucepan, combine the beef broth with brown sugar and butter. Bring to a simmer. Put meatballs in the slow cooker and pour in the broth mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for about 2 hours. Serve hot from the slow cooker.
Makes 6 to 7 dozen meatballs, about 3/4 ounce each.