- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, cored apple slices
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Spread this batter in a greased and floured 8-inch square baking pan. Arrange apple slices over the batter, sharp inner edges down, overlapping as needed.
Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over apple slices. Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes, until apples are tender and topping is browned. Serve warm with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.