Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 3 pounds tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, or add an additional 1/4 cup of oats
In another bowl combine flour, sugar and oats. Cut butter into 8 small pieces, and cut butter into flour with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture is crumbly. Stir in the chopped nuts.
Butter a 9-inch square baking dish. Spread apple mixture in bottom of baking dish then sprinkle with flour mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 to 45 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned.
Serve the crisp warm or at room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzling of heavy cream.