Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- Pastry for 9-inch double crust pie
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 6 cups cored, peeled, and thinly sliced apples, tart or a mixture of tart and sweet
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; whisk to blend thoroughly. Add the sliced apples and stir to coat with the sugar mixture. Turn into the pastry-lined pie pan. Dot evenly with butter pieces.
Arrange the prepared top crust over the filling; seal and flute around the edge of the pan. Cover the edge with a 2- to 3-inch strip of foil or use a pie shield. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, removing the pie shield the last 15 minutes.
The pie should be nicely browned and the filling bubbling up through the slits in the crust.