This asparagus casserole is baked with white sauce made with cheese and a topping of buttered bread crumbs.
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 to 3 pounds of asparagus, or 18 to 20 ounces frozen asparagus
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup grated mild Cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces drained pimiento, 1/4 cup chopped
Wash asparagus, remove woody part of stalks and cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces. Cook in boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and place in a shallow baking dish or casserole. Melt butter in saucepan. Mix 2 tablespoons of the butter with the soft bread crumbs; set aside for topping casserole later. Blend flour, salt, and pepper into remaining butter in saucepan. Continue cooking and stirring over low heat. Gradually add milk, stirring until thickened. Add Worcestershire sauce, pimiento, and cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Pour sauce over asparagus in casserole; top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
Asparagus casserole recipe serves 4 to 6.
Asparagus with Cream Sauce
Ham and Asparagus Crepes With Parmesan Cheese
Creamy Pasta With Ham and Asparagus