- 2 to 2 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 to 6 Granny Smith or other cooking apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- sugar, approximately 1/2 cup, for sprinkling apples
- butter, cut in small pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup margarine melted
- heavy cream or ice cream, optional
Place 3 or 4 pieces of apple on each square. Sprinkle each with 2
teaspoons sugar and a sprinkling cinnamon and nutmeg to taste; dot with butter. Moisten
edges of each dumpling with water; bring corners to center, pinching edges
to seal. Place dumplings 1 inch apart in a lightly greased shallow baking
dish. Combine 2 cups sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 2
cups hot water and 1/4 cup butter or margarine; stir to dissolve sugar.
Pour syrup over dumplings. Bake at 375° for 35 to 45 minutes, or
until golden brown. Serve hot with cream or ice cream.
Makes about 1 dozen apple dumplings.
You Might Also Like