- 1 whole chicken, about 5 1/2 pounds
- 6 cups toasted bread cubes
- 3 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
Cook chicken giblets in water until tender; reserve 3/4 cup of the stock. In a mixing bowl combine bread cubes, parsley, onion, celery and seasonings. Add milk, beaten egg, chopped giblets, and stock. Stuff chicken. Roast, uncovered, at 350° for about 22 minutes per pound, to about 175° on meat thermometer. Remove stuffing to a serving dish for serving. Store in a tightly covered container- do not store stuffing in chicken.
*The giblets are often packed in a small bag in the cavity of a whole chicken. They consist of the heart, liver, and gizzard, and the neck is often included in the mixture.