- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots or dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a mixing bowl with a hand-held electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed. Beat until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla extract.
With mixer at low speed, beat in flour, alternating with mashed bananas. Stir in chopped apricots or dates and the chopped nuts. Bake at 350° until golden brown -- a toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean.
Cool bread in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes; turn bread out onto rack; cool completely. For best flavor, wrap banana bread tightly in foil and store overnight before slicing and serving.
Makes one loaf of banana nut bread.