- 1 cup shortening
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped raisins
- 4 egg whites, beaten
Cream shortening and sugar.
Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and blend well. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with egg yolks and buttermilk, beating after each addition.
Stir in vanilla, mashed bananas, and chopped pecans. Fold in beaten egg whites.
Spoon batter into a greased and floured tube pan; bake at 325° for about 1 1/2 hours.
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream. If desired, drizzle cake with glaze or frost when cooled.