- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (sift before measuring)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 medium bananas, ripe)
Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices. In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with mashed bananas, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pans; bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched lightly with finger. Cool in pans for about 10 minutes (13x9x2-inch size may be left in the pan) - remove to racks and remove waxed paper. Cool thoroughly before frosting.
<h4>Buttercream Banana Frosting</h4>
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups sifted confectioners; sugar
- chopped pecans, toasted, for topping, optional*
*To toast nuts, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350° oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Or, toast in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.