- 1 pound dried navy beans or great northern beans, washed and drained
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 3 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
Cover beans with water and bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 to 2 hours. Drain bean liquid into a bowl; measure and add enough water or broth to make 2 quarts; pour back into beans.
Bring beans to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 2 hours, or until beans are very tender. Add ham bone, potatoes, onions, celery, parsley, and garlic, and continue to simmer for another hour. Remove ham bone and cut up meat; return to soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves 8 to 10