Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound Great Northern beans or navy beans
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 1 ham bone or ham hock, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped or sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
Stir in ham, ham bone or hock, pepper, bay leaf, carrot and celery. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans are tender (skim foam from top), about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If soup is too thick, add a little water.
Remove ham bone or ham hock (if used) and trim meat from bone. Return meat to soup with tomato sauce and salt; simmer for about 15 minutes longer. Remove bay leaf.
Ham and bean soup serves 6.