Cook Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 3 to 4 pounds beef short ribs, cut in serving-size pieces
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons beef base or bouillon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crushed
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
In a heavy skillet, cook short ribs for about 30 minutes, turning frequently to brown all sides. Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
Transfer short ribs to a large baking dish or casserole. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour.
In same skillet, combine rice, onion, celery and green bell pepper; cook until rice is browned lightly.
Remove ribs from oven after baking 1 hour; drain. Remove short ribs from baking dish. Place rice and vegetable mixture in casserole then top with the short ribs.
In a saucepan, combine beef base, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, 2 1/4 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Pour over the ribs; cover and bake short ribs 1 hour longer.
Serves 4 to 6.