- 3 to 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound carrots, about 6 medium, trimmed, peeled, and halved
- 1 pound red potatoes, about 5 to 6 medium, peeled and halved
- 1/2 to 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 8 small white onions, peeled
- 1 can (approximately 14 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
Preheat oven to 350°
Trim excess fat from beef short ribs. Place ribs in a 13-9-inch baking pan or large shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake uncovered for 2 hours then drain off excess fat. Add carrots, potatoes, green beans, and onions. In a bowl, combine the broth with horseradish and mustard; pour over meat and vegetables. Cover with foil and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer, or until tender. Arrange the beef short ribs and vegetables on a serving platter and keep warm. Measure pan drippings and add a little more water or broth, if necessary, to make 2 cups. Return to baking pan or saucepan and place over medium heat. If gravy is made in a saucepan, scrape up any browned bits from the baking pan and put in saucepan.
In a cup or small bowl, mix cornstarch with cold water. Stir into the pan drippings and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Serve the pan gravy with the short ribs and vegetables.
Serves 4 to 6.