- 1 pound beets, about 3 large beets, stems removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
Drain, cool, peel, and dice the beets.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute until onion is just tender and aromatic. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour until blended into the fat. Stir in the chicken broth, the beets, brown sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Classic Pickled Beets
- Orange Glazed Beets
- Spiced Beets
- Harvard Beets, Slow Cooker
- Beets - Freezing Instructions