This blackberry pastry is a nice way to use fresh blackberries.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk, more or less
- 2 cups fresh cleaned and sliced blackberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut in several small pieces
Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon sugar. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles meal. Add enough milk to make a soft dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out into a 1/4-inch thickness. Spread with blackberries to about 1/2-inch of edge. Sprinkle 3/4 cup sugar evenly over the berries then dot with the butter. Roll up like a jelly roll and seal ends. Place in a greased shallow baking dish. Bake at 425° for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with cream or whipped topping.