Large Image of Fresh Strawberry Cake
- 1 cup mashed strawberries
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, stir before measuring
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- pinch salt
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed strawberries, excess juice drained
Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder; set aside.
In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and blend well.
Slowly beat about 1/3 of the flour mixture into the creamed mixture with half of the strawberries. Beat in another 1/3 of the flour mixture and the remaining strawberries. Blend in the remaining flour mixture and beat until smooth.
Spread in the baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger. Cool on a rack; frost with cream cheese frosting.
Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the salt, 3 cups of confectioners' sugar, and strawberries. Add more confectioners' sugar, as needed, until thick enough to spread. Frost and store cake in the refrigerator until serving time. Makes enough for a 13x9-inch cake.