Hot chocolate is the perfect comforting drink on a cold winter day! Top this warming drink with marshmallows, whipped cream, or marshmallow creme or fluff.
Large Photo of Hot Chocolate
Yield: Serves 4
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar (a little more if you like it quite sweet)
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light cream or half-and-half, optional
- whipped cream, marshmallow creme or fluff, or mini marshmallows, for topping
In a saucepan, combine the cocoa and sugar. Stir in the boiling water and cook, stirring, until simmering. Simmer for about 1 minute, or until sugar is dissolved. Add the milk and vanilla and continue heating until it just comes to a simmer.
If desired, add the cream or half-and-half. Pour into mugs and top as desired.