This black bean soup recipe is nicely flavored with lots of garlic, a meaty ham bone, and spices.
Top each serving of soup with a spoonful of sour cream and chopped green onions.
- 1 pound black beans, soaked overnight
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ham bone with some meat
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
Drain soaked beans.
In stock pot or large kettle, heat olive oil; sauté garlic, onions, and celery until tender.
Add chicken broth, ham bone, the black beans and bay leaf; simmer for 1 hour.
Add red bell pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, brown sugar, lemon juice, and sherry. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
Remove ham bone and bay leaf.
Puree about 1/4 to 1/3 of the soup then mix it back into the pot.
If desired, cut up ham from bone and add to soup.
Add chopped parsley.
Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkling of chopped green onions.