- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) beans -- pinto, garbanzo, great northern, kidney beans, etc. -- drained and rinsed
- grated cheese, sour cream, chopped parsley, chopped hard-cooked egg, green onion, or other garnishes
Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onions, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute, then add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add this mixture to the slow cooke along with all remaining ingredients except canned beans and garnishes. Stir well and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Stir in canned beans about an hour before serving.
Serve with your choice of the garnishes listed above.
You Might Also Like