- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 to 16 ounces Andouille or spicy sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add sausage and cook over medium heat until browned. Add onion, celery, red bell pepper, and jalapeno peppers; sauté for about 3 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer. Add the beef broth, beans, tomatoes, lemon juice, and remaining seasonings. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Serve with freshly baked cornbread or crusty rolls.
More Soup Recipes
This slow cooker soup is super easy to prepare with canned black beans, tomatoes, and corn. Flavor comes form the chopped green chile peppers, cumin, and chili powder.
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup With Smoked Sausage
This lentil soup is quick and easy to prepare and cook in the slow cooker. The lentils are cooked with a simple combination of sliced smoked sausage, broth, tomatoes, vegetables, and seasonings.
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe
This pea soup is flavored with a meaty hambone or hocks, or you can use diced leftover ham. Seasonings include a little garlic, bay leaf, and seasoned salt.