- 4 cups French bread cubes, toasted
- 2 1/2 cups milk, scalded, cooled slightly
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- dessert sauce or whipped cream for garnish
Lightly butter the slow cooker then add bread cubes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the scalded milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla, and melted butter.
Pour milk mixture over the bread cubes then add raisins, if desired.
Gently, using a large spoon or spatula, press bread cubes down into mixture so all bread pieces will soak up milk mixture. Do not stir.
Cover and cook on LOW setting for 5 to 6 hours, until bread pudding is set.
Serve with a dessert sauce or whipped cream.