- 1 bag (30 ounces) frozen Southern Style hash browns (or 32 ounce bag shredded), thawed
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 to 3tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces thinly sliced Canadian bacon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced, optional
- 12 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
In a large skillet, lightly brown the Canadian bacon slices in 2 tablespoons of butter; set aside. In the same skillet saute the onion, peppers, and mushrooms until tender. Add a little more butter, as necessary.
Spoon vegetable mixture over the cheese layer. Top with sliced tomatoes, if using. Arrange slices of Canadian bacon over the vegetables, overlapping if necessary. Top with remaining cheese.
In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the milk; pour over the casserole. Using a spatula, gently press all over to soak with egg mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°.
Bake casserole for 35 to 45 minutes, until set. Cool slightly before slicing.
Serves 10 to 12.