Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 bags or packages (10 to 12 ounces each) frozen broccoli florets, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 can (approx. 4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, with liquid*
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
* If you make this without mushrooms or use fresh mushrooms, add an extra 1/4 cup of milk (or broth) to the sauce make up for the mushroom liquid.
Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine the broccoli and rice; blend well.
In a saucepan, cook the onion in 3 tablespoons of butter until softened. Add the flour and stir until blended. Stir in the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add mushrooms with liquid (approximately 1/4 to 1/3 cup) and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir into the broccoli and rice mixture and spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
Toss bread crumbs with remaining melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole. Bake for 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and topping is browned.
You Might Also Like