- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounce package)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
In saucepan over low heat or in a double boiler over boiling water, melt chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk, 1 tablespoon of butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Blend well; set aside.
Sift together the flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
In a mixing bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar. Beat in egg and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in sifted dry ingredients and the oats.
Press about 2/3 of the mixture in a lightly buttered 9-inch square baking pan. Spread with chocolate and walnut mixture.
Crumble remaining oat mixture over chocolate filling; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chopped nuts. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool and cut into bars.
You Might Also Like