- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large hero rolls, split and buttered
- 8 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- pimiento stuffed green olives, sliced, or dill pickle slices
Spoon meat mixture over buttered rolls; top with cheese triangles then arrange sliced green olives or pickle slices over the cheese. Broil for 3 minutes, about 4 inches from heat source, or until cheese begins to melt.
Makes 8 open face sandwiches.