Cook Time: 11 minutes
Total Time: 11 minutes
Yield: Makes About 3 Dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, 9 ounces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces (8 tablespoons) salted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- Lemon Icing
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
Combine the flour with the baking powder. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until light, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and 1 tablespoon lemon zest. Stir in the flour, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and lemon extract. Beat until well blended.
Drop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets with a small cookie scoop or tablespoon. With the bottom of a glass coated with sugar, flatten each cookie mound just slightly.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until bottoms are lightly browned.
Cool slightly on racks and drizzle each cookie with a scant teaspoon of lemon icing (directions below).
Combine confectioners' sugar, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and 2 to 3 teaspoons of lemon zest. Stir until well blended.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.