- 1 small head of cabbage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 to 8 slices bacon or turkey bacon, diced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) cream of celery soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Cut cabbage into 4 wedges, then cut out core and cut each wedge crosswise into thin slices. Put cabbage in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
Meanwhile, sauté the onion and diced bacon in the vegetable oil until onion is tender. In a bowl, combine the soup, milk, mayonnaise, pepper, and cooked onion and bacon. Add the cabbage and stir to mix well.
In another bowl, combine bread crumbs with melted butter and parsley. Toss to blend thoroughly.
Sprinkle about 1/3 cup of the crumbs over the bottom of the casserole. Top with the cabbage mixture, then sprinkle cheese over all. Top the cheese layer with the remaining bread crumbs.
Bake the casserole, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8.