- 1 medium head (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds) cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons spicy mustard or Dijon
- 8 ounces white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- generous grating of fresh pepper, about 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
Steam the cabbage until just tender. Drain well and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Saute the garlic until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove garlic and discard. Add the flour to the flavored butter and cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbly. Stir in the milk and mustard. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in the Cheddar cheese and add salt and pepper, to taste.
Combine the sauce with the drained cabbage and pour into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, if using.
Combine the soft bread crumbs with 1 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter and toss until well blended. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned and bubbly.