- 3 to 4 lbs medium-size fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, ground
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- hot cooked rice
Combine oil and flour in a Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture is golden colored. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes.
Add onion, celery, green onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, 15 minutes or more until vegetables are tender.
Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, the water, salt, black and red pepper, bay leaves, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Add shrimp and simmer for about 10 minutes more, or until the shrimp are cooked through and turn pink. Remove the bay leaves.
Stir in chopped fresh parsley and serve over hot cooked rice.