- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, quartered lengthwise then thinly sliced, about 1 cup
- 1/2 green pepper, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 bottles (8 ounces each) clam juice
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium red skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch chunks
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan, sauté bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Add diced onion, carrot, green pepper, and celery; sauté until onion is tender and carrot has softened slightly.
Stir in the tomatoes, clam juice, and vegetable broth. Add potatoes, Creole seasoning, and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add the parsley and catfish; continue simmering for about 5 minutes, or until fish is opaque and cooked through. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the bacon just before serving.
Serves 4 to 6.
*To cut back on fat and calories, use vegetable oil instead of bacon drippings to saute the vegetables, and sprinkle individual with purchased real bacon bits, if desired.
You Might Also Like