Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 1 medium head cauliflower, separated into small flowerets
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
Steam the cauliflower until just tender, about 7 minutes. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the red bell pepper and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the green onion and chopped parsley and continue cooking for about 2 minutes longer. Add the flour and stir until blended. Stir in the milk and cook, stirring until thickened. Add 1 cup of the cheese and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring, until cheese is melted. Combine with the cauliflower and spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs until crumbs are thoroughly coated. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until topping is nicely browned.
Serves 4 to 6.