- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sifted granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- fresh fruit, pie filling, or a fruit glaze, for topping
- whipped cream, for topping
Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C/Gas Mark 6).
Mix 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cut in 1/2 cup butter. Stir in egg yolk. Shape dough into a ball. Press 1/3 of the dough into bottom of a 9- or 10-inch springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool. Increase oven temperature to 500° F (260° C/Gas Mark 10). Grease sides of the springform pan and line sides with remaining dough.
Prepare filling. Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Mix together the 1 3/4 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons all purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, orange and lemon peel, and vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients to cream cheese, beating until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in heavy cream. Pour batter into the springform pan. Bake for 12 minutes at 500° F (260° C/Gas Mark 10). Without opening oven door, reduce temperature to 200° F (95° C). Bake for 1 hour longer. Cool on rack. Loosen sides of cooled cake; remove sides.
Top with dollops of whipped cream and fresh fruit or use a strawberry glaze or a pie filling for topping.