Toasted sesame seeds give these delicious, savory cheese snacks extra flavor and crunch.
Use either Tabasco or a dash of cayenne pepper for a little heat.
You can buy toasted sesame seeds, or you can toast them yourself:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Total Time: 31 minutes
Yield: Makes About 2 1/2 to 3 Dozen
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or a Creole seasoning with salt
- few drops Tabasco sauce or dash ground cayenne
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, 5 ounces (scoop and sweep)
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
In a mixing bowl, combine cheese, butter, salt, and pepper or Tabasco; beat until blended. Blend in the flour. Shape 2-teaspoon portions into 2-inch logs; roll in sesame seeds. Place on an ungreased baking sheet about 1 inch apart. They will spread just slightly.
Bake in a preheated 350° F (180° C/Gas Mark 4) oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until nicely browned.
Makes about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen.