Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup carrots, cut in 1/8-inch dice
- 1/2 cup celery, cut in 1/8-inch dice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 pounds velveeta cheese, cut in small cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- pickled Jalapeno slices or roasted red bell pepper slices for garnish
Melt the butter in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium low heat. Add the carrots, onions and celery all at once and sauté until tender.
Add flour and stir until flour is blended into the butter. Cook until mixture begins to turn a light brown color (a light roux). Increase heat to medium-high and add the chicken broth a little at a time. Continue to cook and stir with a whisk until a thick base if formed. Add half and half, being careful not to let it boil. Add cheese, stirring until cubes are melted. If too thick, add more half-and-half or some milk to thin.
Just before serving add parsley. Garnish with the jalapeno pepper slices or roasted red bell pepper slices.
Serves 6 to 8.
You Might Also Like