Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 can (20 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
Heat oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas Mark 4).
Generously butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Spread the cherry pie filling over the bottom. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and flavorings. Beat in the sifted dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Beat until well blended.
Spoon over the cherry pie filling; spread to cover.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
Let cool for about 10 minutes. Loosen sides and carefully invert on a serving plate or cake server.