Precooked bacon works well in this dish and makes preparation even faster. This is delicious with hot cooked rice or pasta with a tossed salad on the side.
If you don't have a broiler-safe skillet, transfer the chicken and mushrooms to a baking dish or pan before broiling.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves, pounded to thin, or use thin-sliced chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, or more chicken broth
- 4 slices bacon, cooked but not crisp, sliced in half crosswise
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese or about 1/2 to 1 cup shredded
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Cook chicken in butter for about 4 to 6 minutes on each side, until tender and cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet and sauté the sliced mushrooms until tender. Add the 1/2 cup of chicken broth and wine (or more chicken broth) to the skillet and scrape up browned bits; simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the chicken back to the skillet and top each with 2 pieces of bacon. Spoon some of the mushrooms over the chicken pieces.
Top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese or shredded cheese. Place chicken breasts under a hot broiler about 6 to 8 ounces from the heat until cheese is melted. Serve with hot buttered pasta or rice.