Yield: Serves 4
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 small slices Mozzarella Cheese or 2 ounces shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 to 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 or 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Wash chicken and pat dry. Put the chicken, one piece at a time, in a food storage bag and pound gently with a meat mallet or other heavy object until about 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with all of the chicken breasts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Saute the garlic in butter for about 1 minute, just to soften. Combine the garlic with basil leaves. Spread basil mixture over each chicken breast; top with a slice of Mozzarella cheese or a little of the shredded Mozzarella cheese. Roll the chicken up and secure with toothpicks.
Beat the egg in a shallow bowl.
In a wide bowl, combine the bread crumbs and parsley.
Carefully dip the rolled chicken breasts in the egg; turning to coat well, then coat with bread crumbs. Arrange the chicken breast rolls on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender and browned. Add garlic, green onions, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and dash of pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer; add the flour and stir until well blended. Add the chicken broth and simmer for about 2 minutes. Add cream and heat through.